Sunday, May 9, 2010

Dear Mom

(me and my mom at Columbia University on our first day in New York, July 1, 2008)

Dear Mom,
In honor of this special day, here are my top 5 memories of you:
#5: Reading to me and my little sister every single night when we were younger. You helped us fall in love with Highlights and all things Roald Dahl.
#4: Teaching me how to tell time. I still remember when you showed me on a paper clock in the back of a book and I got it like that thanks to you. 
#3: Taking me to Souplantation, then Costco, and then shopping at Nordstrom Rack. Those were/are the best kinds of Sundays.
#2: The time I woke up at 6AM to finish a 6th grade science project...only to find that you had already finished it for me after I gave up at 10:30 the night before.
#1: The 10 days you spent helping me move to New York 
...which included: rescuing my luggage after it rolled down a massive slope; lugging a million pounds of Ikea stuff from Brooklyn to the Upper West Side; sleeping on the floor for 2 nights while we waited for the mattress delivery that was supposed to arrive "in 15 minutes" from the point of purchase; waiting downtown for the 4th of July fireworks for 5 hours only to be in a no-visibility zone when they started; eating at random, terrible places because we didn't know better; and the 12 straight hours we spent building every single piece of furniture in my room.
Only a mom would put up with all of that. Although we did treat ourselves to some lovely days shopping and sightseeing all over town, including taking a beautiful ferry ride to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...all of which I won't soon forget.

You are the best.

Love,
Celeste

...
P.S. Today was another great day of memories with you. Thank you for taking us to a delicious lunch and treating Olivia and me to some new clothes even though this is your day. And I'm really glad you loved the so-so tote I made you...even though the tears of joy really came when you realized a Susan Boyle CD was inside.