Friday, May 7, 2010

The Cable Guy

cooped up for the afternoon

I'm up in LA until tomorrow night to help Adam move into his new apartment (and attend a friend's birthday/going away party, but more on that later). 
Today was all about...THE CABLE GUY. 

The Scenario:
Time Warner informs us that the cable guy will arrive between 1-5pm. Apparently a 1-hour estimate is unreasonable. So Adam and I prepare to camp out in the empty apartment for an entire afternoon.

The Supplies:
-Adam's crazy med school textbook
-My laptop, with access only to Word
-Watchmen comic
-Bananas
-Toilet paper

The Afternoon:
We admired the apartment, stretched out on the soft carpet, and looked out the window at the beautiful tree and bright green leaves just inches from the glass. They block most of the street view and it kind of feels like you're in the middle of the woods. I got a little jealous. I hope wherever I live next has a tree outside the window.
 Then we got down to work, relaxing in the big space and throwing jokes back and forth. Guess what? It's kind of fun being cooped up.
...
Fast forward 2 hours and nope, not so fun anymore. Both of us are getting crampy, tired, and cranky. Adam sits down next to me against the wall and we both stare at our reflections in the big, mirrored wardrobe. Our minds and bodies are numb. 
"Why do you think you're alive?" he asks me. 
Wow. It's time to get outside. So we decide to take a walk. 
The new apartment building is surrounded by lovely greenery and outside, the sun was shining and a light breeze was blowing and cars zoomed by us on the street. I have to credit Adbusters magazine for their articles about nature's effect on our happiness. It's so true. Every time I'm outside, I feel happier. When I was in New York, I was arguably in the happiest state of mind, and I don't doubt that a lot of it had to do with the walking culture, Central Park as a massive playground, and all the al fresco dining my heart desired (if only for a few months out of the year). 

 So Adam and I enjoyed the stroll down Bundy Street, checking out the Starbucks and the little taco and pizza shop around the corner. Then we crossed over to Santa Monica, and just as we were about to continue our outdoor adventure down a row of interesting shops...the telephone rang. The cable guy had arrived.
...
After all was said and done with the TV and internet, we locked up shop at 4:45 and went back to Westwood for dinner at Angelino's, my favorite little Italian spot in the neighborhood. It's run by one guy with a white beard who takes your order and cooks and serves all the food himself.
Mr. Archie Zanali, working away at Angelino's Cafe. Fun fact: he was the personal chef to Larry Flynt back in the day.
 the quaint, tiny interior
 Don't worry, the food is delicious; it's the flash that's distressing.

The night ended with a walk through the neighborhood while enjoying some Rite Aid ice-cream. Beautiful night, glowing lights from every angle, and UCLA students filling the streets. I always try to remind myself to embrace the outdoors more and today I appreciated it more than ever. 
All thanks to being cooped up inside for the afternoon...which was all thanks to the cable guy.