Sunday, May 30, 2010

Saturday Under the Sun

Yesterday was all about some good ol' entertainment. First, my sister and I made a pit stop at the movie theater in the morning to watch Sex and the City 2. Loved the cute little old ladies who came out in groups to see it! Afterward, the weather was so beautiful that Adam came over and we headed out to my neighborhood park to play some games in the great outdoors. Our friends Uno and the travel-sized Trouble I've had since I was little joined us at Monarch Park.
The weather was perfection. Not a cloud in the sky. I think I said "It's not too cold, it's not too hot" about 2349871 times. There was even a lovely, soft breeze--oh, how I love a good breeze!
...
Later in the afternoon, we all got together in the backyard for some grilling. (Yes, that would be my dad down there wearing a NERD energy drink t-shirt.) On the menu: Korean BBQ, skewered shrimp, grilled eggplant & zucchini, spinach soup, and my mom's famous cucumber-and-tomato salsa with tortilla chips. It was a fine feast.
Dinnertime highlights included a very wholesome family discussion on weed (what does it smell like? what color is it? is marijuana the same thing?...don't ask how any of this came up), a riveting conversation on the Vietnam War, and then all of us looking over at my sister at the end of the meal to find her slumped in her chair, asleep. she took food coma to a whole new level. (I really wish I got a picture of it but she woke up right away when all of us burst into hysterical laughter.)
...
After dinner, the three youngsters (that would be me, my sister, and Adam) headed to Trader Joe's to pick up some goodies. There's something about going to Trader Joe's that doesn't feel like you're running an errand. Everything there just seems so fresh and special. As if all the items are saying to you, "We're here just for you! Won't you buy us?" "Oh, just for me? Well, of course I'll take you home then!" And even if you're going for someone else and don't want to buy anything, there are always delicious samples in the back, like yesterday's Pomegranate Blueberry Sherbet. Heaven. And then you want to buy it.
...
The night ended with:
Watch it. Even if it's not the best-executed documentary, you will fall in love with all of the characters. See the trailer here.

I hope everyone's having a wonderful Memorial Day Weekend!