Thursday, October 14, 2010

Halloween Decorations are Out to Play

Oh, festive decor, I enjoy you.
I love when fall kicks in and people in the neighborhood start bringing out their wreaths, pumpkins, jack-o-lanterns, and enormous fake black spiders that cling from the highest windows. It marks the beginning of a brand new year. (I still think of years in terms of school years, so forget January--September is where it's at for a fresh start.) From here on out, it's Thanksgiving decor, Christmas decor, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's day, and Easter. Our family usually only decorates for Christmas, but I'm determined to hit up all the holidays this year. My neighbors also know how to get really creative and it's wonderful to see people enjoying the seasons and enjoying their homes, too.
...
I daydream about having a cozy little house to decorate one day, but for now, I'm making do with my parents' house. And so is Adam. We brought out some of the decor we scooped up last year at a store in LA after Halloween was over and everything was half off. Then we took a couple of trips to Target, Big Lots, and the Dollar Tree. I think we spent a good two whole days looking at dangling goblins, glow-in-the-dark witches, orange lights, and motion-sensor zombies that say the creepiest/cheesiest things to you. 
We showed a little restraint though and didn't buy too much. Here's how the inventory turned out at both our houses...

...
  Now, time to make corn bread and pie!