Monday, August 30, 2010

Tutoring 101

I recently picked up a tutoring job to support the writing and it's turned out to be one of the best part-time jobs I could ask for because I get to teach (mostly) charming little kids who provide amazing dialogue gems:

Freckles
6-year-old Aidan is a precious little kid with freckles all over his face who gets confronted by Little Boy #2:
Little Boy #2: What's wrong with your face?
Aidan: What do you mean?
Little Boy #2: Why are there dots all over it?
Aidan: They're called freckles. They're what make me so adorable.

Reading
6-year-old Zane pitches me an idea:
Zane: Can I, can I, can I read out silent?
Me: You mean out loud?
Zane: No, I mean out silent.
Me: Oh, you mean you want to read silently to yourself?
Zane: Nooo, I want to read out but I don't want you to hear me.